Thursday, April 18, 2013



Why We Love It: The Mud Oven

This post probably should have happened a while ago, but I finally got the chance to do some arts and crafts at The Mud Oven.  I've been eyeing the ceramic skulls from outside the window for some time, so I ventured over with some friends for a night of fun and relaxing DIY-ing.  We chose our pieces (two skulls and a big mug) and our colour palettes and got our hands dirty.  The whole experience definitely made me feel like a kid again and the bright primary coloured interior and furniture really enhanced that experience even more.  The staff member who was working that night was also very helpful, giving us tips and tricks for properly painting our masterpieces.  Once we were satisfied with our designs (two hours later!) we handed them in to be glazed and fired in the kiln.  The ceramics come out shiny and ready to use – they’re even microwavable! – but the whole finishing process takes about 5 days.  I can’t wait to pick my sugar skull up!  - J

No comments:

Post a Comment